Skip to main content

Correction of Sentences - Important Notes


Dear students, the following notes will certainly help you to score cent percent marks in composition by making your content error free.

Rule 1: The use of two negatives to express a single negative idea is wrong. Hence use one negative word; as-
1. I don’t know nothing about him.

I don’t know anything about him.
2. He does not want none of that cake.

He does not want any of that cake.

Rule 2: Don’t use split infinitive; as-
I always like to closely examine every proposal.
I always like to examine closely every proposal.

Rule 3: If there is a wish or condition contrary to actual fact, we use ‘were’ with all subjects (whether singular or plural); as-
1. I wish I was as tall as my father.

I wish I were as tall as my father.
2. If he was alive, he would help me.

If he were alive, he would help me.

Rule 4: The verb that follows the phrase ‘with a view to’ or ‘look forward to’ is to be always in ‘–ing’ form.
1. He is working hard with a view to win this match.

He is working hard with a view to winning this match.
2. I look forward to meet old friend next month.

I look forward to meeting my old friend next month.

Rule 5: The verbs like – ‘absent, apply, acquit, enjoy, over-reach, resign, avail, pride etc. are used reflexively.
1. I enjoyed during the holidays.

I enjoyed myself during holidays.
2. He resigned to the will of God.

He resigned himself to the will of God.
3. You must avail of this opportunity.

You must avail yourself of this opportunity.
Note: After the following verbs- Bathe, dash, keep, feel, move, make, spread, stop, draw, rest, roll, enlist, hide, feed, qualify, etc-, we don’t use reflexive pronoun; as-
1. The boy keeps himself away from school.

The boy keeps away from school.

Rule 6: when first, second and third person singular pronouns (I, You and He) are used together, they are placed in the order of 2 – 3 – 1 (You, he and I). In the case of plural pronouns, the order is 1 – 2 – 3 (We, you, they).
1. I, you and he are neighbours.

You, he and I are neighbours.
2. You, they and we must work together.

We, you and they must work together.

Rule 7: Relative pronoun should be placed as close to its antecedent as possible.
I have read Shakespeare’s works who was a great dramatist.
I have read the works of Shakespeare who was a great dramatist.
Rule 8: Pronouns following ‘Let’ must be in the objective case.
1. Let he do whatever he likes.

Let him do whatever he likes.
2. Let you and I solve this riddle.

Let you and me solve this riddle.
Note: ‘Let’ is always followed by an object.
Let do him his work.
Let him do his work.

Rule 9: when a pronoun is the object of a verb or a preposition, it should be in objectives case.
These books are for you and I.
These books are for you and me.

Rule 10: The pronoun following ‘than’ and ‘as’ is in Nominative case; as-
He is taller than me.
He is taller than I.

Rule 11: To avoid the repetition of a noun in a sentence (as objects of comparison), we use ‘that’ for singular noun and ‘those’ for plural noun.
1. The climate of Lucknow is better than Delhi.

The climate of Lucknow is better than that of Delhi.
2. The roads of Bareilly are wider than Rampur.

The roads of Bareilly are wider than those of Rampur.
Rule 12: ‘One’ is an indefinite pronoun. The possessive of ‘one’ is ‘one’s’.
One should not waste his time.


One should not waste one’s time.

Rule 13: the relative pronoun ‘as’ or ‘that’ should be used after ‘same’ or ‘such’. Never use ‘who’ or ‘which’ after ‘same’ or ‘such’; as-
1. It is not such a good book which I expected.

It is not such a book as I expected.
2. This is the same beggar who came yesterday.

This is the same beggar that came yesterday.

Rule 14: Double comparatives and double superlatives must not be used; as-
1. He is more wiser than his brother.

He is wiser than his brother.
2. He is the most wisest of all.

He is the wisest of all.
Rule 15: when two adjectives in the comparative or the superlative degree are used together, the one formed by adding ‘more’ or ‘most’ must follow other adjectives; as-
1. He is more wiser than brave.

He is more wise than brave.
2. He is the more intelligent and wiser than his brother.

He is wiser and more intelligent than his brother.
Rule 16: when we compare two qualities in the same person or thing, the comparative ending ‘er’ is not used. In all such cases we should use ‘more’ before the adjectives; as-
You are wiser than old.
You are more wise than old.
Rule 17: we should use comparative degree in comparing two things or persons and the superlative degree in comparing more than two things or persons; as –
1. He is the best of the two books.

He is the better of the two books.
2. He is the better of the three boys.

He is the best of the three boys.
Rule 18: ‘Less’ refers to quantity (less milk); whereas ‘fewer’ denotes number (fewer people); as-
1. There are no less than twenty boys in this class.

There are no fewer than twenty boys in this class.
2. He takes no fewer than one kilo of milk.

He takes no less than one kilo of milk.
Rule 19: when comparative degree is used in the superlative sense, it is followed by ‘any other’ and not by ‘any’; as –
Ravi is better than any bowler.
Ravi is better than any other bowler.
Rule 20: The comparative adjectives – ‘senior, junior, superior, inferior, posterior, anterior, prior etc.’ are followed by ‘to’ instead of ‘than’. We never use ‘more’ with these adjectives.
He is senior than me.
He is senior to me.
Rule 21: The following adjectives are never used in comparative or superlative degree with ‘more’ or ‘most’. Unique, ideal, perfect, extreme, chief, entire, complete, round, square, universal, impossible, golden, infinite, perpetual etc.
It is the most unique book.
It is a unique book.
Rule 22: When two changes happen together, that is, there is parallel increase, it is expressed by:
The + comparative degree + the + comparative degree
The higher you go, the cool you feel.
The higher you go, the cooler you feel.
Rule 23: the words ‘elder’ and ‘eldest’ are used for comparing the members of the family (brother, sister, son, daughter, father, etc.). ‘Older’ and ‘oldest’ are used with regard to age and in connection with human family relationship.
1. He is my older brother.

He is my elder brother.
2. He is the eldest man of this colony.

He is the oldest man of this colony.
Rule 24: ‘Enough’ can qualify an adjective or an adverb. It usually comes after adjectives and adverbs.
He is enough bold to take up this challenge.
He is bold enough to take up this challenge.
Rule 25: We usually use ‘few’ with plural nouns and ‘little’ with uncountable nouns. ‘Few’ and ‘little’ mean ‘not much/many’. They are rather negative. ‘A little’ and ‘a few’ mean ‘some’. They give positive meaning.
Little learning is a dangerous thing.
A little learning is a dangerous thing.


Rule 26: ‘Later’ is the comparative of ‘late’. It means ‘more late in time’. But ‘Latter’ is the opposite of ‘former’. It denotes position.
1. He came latter than you.

He came later than you.
2. If offered red or white shirt, I’d choose the later.

If offered red or white shirt, I’d choose the latter.
Rule 27: ‘Father’ means ‘a more distant point’; whereas ‘Further’ means ‘more, additional’.
1. Let’s not walk any further.

Let’s not walk any farther.
2. He made no farther remarks.

He made no further remarks.
Rule 28: after the following verbs we use gerund (Verb + ing), and not an infinitive – avoid, busy, consider, delay, dislike, enjoy, excuse, feel like, finish, forgive, give up, go, help, imagine, keep, like, mind, miss, practice, put off, risk, suggest, understand etc.
1. I enjoy to travel.

I enjoy travelling.
2. He is busy to write letters.

He is busy writing letters.
Rule 29: To imagine something not certain to happen, and with ‘as if/as though’ we use ‘were’ whether subject is singular or plural.
1. If I was you, I would not have done so.

If I were you, I would not have done so.
2. He walks as if he is a king.

He walks as if he were a king.
Rule 30: when we want to say that ‘It’s time’ for somebody else to do something, we use the structure- It’s time + subject + past tense verb.
It is time you go to bed.
It is time you went to bed.
Rule 31: ‘unless’ and ‘lest’ give negative meaning; hence ‘not’ shouldn’t be used.
‘Lest’ is always followed by ‘should’.
1. Unless you do not work hard, you will cut a sorry figure.

Unless you work hard, you will cut a sorry figure.
2. Walk slowly lest you should not fall down.

Walk slowly lest you should fall down.
Rule 32: we use the present tense after ‘if’ and conjunctions of time such as ‘when, as soon as, after, while, until, before etc.
1. If you will come, I shall be delighted.

If you come, I shall be delighted.
2. When I shall go to Lucknow, I shall inform you.

When I go to Lucknow, I shall inform you.
Rule 33: we don’t use past perfect tense singly in a sentence.
I had gone to Delhi.
I went to Delhi.
Rule 34: we use Gerund (Verb + ing) after words which take a preposition after them such as ‘insist, object, prevent, succeed, think, view, tired, fond, used etc.’
1. He insisted to go.

He insisted on going.
2. I am tired to sing and dance.

I am tired of singing and dancing.
Rule 35: when reference is made to the material of which something is made, we use ‘of’. The original material of which something is made can still be recognized. But we use ‘from’ when something is changed beyond recognition.
1. Flour is made of wheat.

Flour is made from wheat.
2. Your chair is made from wood.

Your chair is of wood.

Rule 36: advice, scenery, information, furniture etc. are used in singular. But they can be turned plural with the help of- ‘pieces of/acts of’; as-
He gave me many advices.
He gave me many pieces of advice.

Rule 37: After the following verbs – ‘bid, let, make, need not, dare not, see, hear’ we use the infinitive without to; as –
1. Let him to sit there.

Let him sit there.
2. I made him to run.

I made him run.
Rule 38: ‘Loaded’ is the third form of verb ‘load’. It is used for loading luggage, goods, etc; whereas ‘laden’ is adjective. It is used for trees (loaded or weighed down with fruits)
The trees are loaded with fruits. (P-13)
The trees are laden with fruits.
Rule 39: when there are two or more Adverbs after a verb (and its object), the normal order is: adverb of manner, adverb of place, adverb of time; as
We should go tomorrow evening there.
We should go there tomorrow evening.

Rule 40: ‘As’ is not used after Verbs of naming – call, term, style, entitle, etc, but we use ‘as’ after the verbs of ‘describing’ – represent, depict, mention, define, characterize.
The boy was named as Mohan.
The boy was named Mohan.

Rule 41: The ‘Question Tag’ is always written in contraction viz. isn’t he/ aren’t they etc.
Hari is good at studies, does not he? (P-13)
Hari is good at studies, isn’t he?

LEARN RULES THROUGH EXAMPLES
                     Have they heard the last news?

Have they heard the latest news?
                     I am looking forward to his nearest visit.

I am looking forward to his next visit.
                     Can you tell me the way to the next railway station?

Can you tell me the way to the nearest railway station?
                     There are not some books on the table.

There are not any books on the table.
                     He is not as tall as his brother.

He is not as tall as his brother is.
                     Few politician can be relied on.

A few politicians can be relied on.
                     He has few interest in politics.

He has little interest in politics.
                     His all books were burnt.

All his books were burnt.
                     This is a best book.

This is a very good book.
                     She sings beautiful.

She sings beautifully.
                     This flower smells sweetly.

This flower smells sweet.
                     The two first pages of this book are torn.

The first two pages of this book are torn.
                     He speaks well English.

He speaks English well.
                     She is very slower than Reena.

She is much slower than Reena.
                     He seldom or ever plays cricket.

He seldom or never plays cricket.
                     • It is no use to ask her hobby.

It is no use asking her hobby.
                     Whatever happens, keep on to try.

Whatever happens, keep on trying.
                     She knows to sing and dance.

She knows how to sing and dance.
                     I awaited for his arrival.

I awaited (waited for) his arrival.
                     The boat was drowned in the river.

The boat was sunk in the river.
                     A boy is sunk in the river.

A boy is drowned in the river.
                     Who invented America?

Who discovered America?
                     I neither saw him nor her.

I saw neither him nor her.
                     She knew that I am coming.

She knew that I was coming.
                     Both Ram as well as Raju were present.

Both Ram and Raju were present.
                     I saw her to go.

I saw her go.
                     He did nothing but to play.

He did nothing but play.
                     She did no more than to cry.

She did no more than cry.
                     It is I who is responsible for this mistake.

It is I who am responsible for this mistake.
                     He married his daughter with an engineer.

He married his daughter to an engineer.
                     The sceneries of Kashmir is beautiful.

The scenery of Kashmir is beautiful.
                     He asked me what was your name.

He asked me what my name was.
                     He was hung for murder.


He was hanged for murder.

Click on the link to download reference sheet:

Comments